When I read great literature, great drama, speeches, or sermons, I feel that the human mind has not achieved anything greater than the ability to share feelings and thoughts through language
James Earl Jones
Our Reading Principles
- Identify themselves as readers.
- Be regularly exposed to a mixture of genres, text types and media, making them aware of different reading material that is available to them.
- Be able to access and enjoy their whole class novel regardless of reading age or ability.
- Be read to by an adult for at least 15 minutes a day.
- Have access to at least two reading books: one selected from the class library and one banded book selected specifically to match their reading ability and improve fluency.
- Take part in daily reading and comprehension sessions to ensure that they read fluently and develop their comprehension skills.
- Have time and space to share thoughts and opinions about the books they are reading with their peers, teachers and the wider school community.
- Be supported to read regularly at home.